Monday, May 2, 2011

Stick myself with a needle where?

Well, it's almost time to begin long term treatment for the ms.  My doc feels that Avonex is the best treatment for me.  I did some research and I agree that Avonex seems like the way to go.  BUT..... the needle.  I REALLY don't like needles.  I know, I know.  Who does like needles?  No one.  But I REALLY DON'T like needles!  I can't even watch a nurse give me an immunization let alone give myself a shot.... in the leg.

My doctor agreed to let me come into the office and so the nurses could give me the shot and I thankfully agreed, but it's not sitting well with me for two reasons.  First, I'm a strong girl.  I always have been.  Not 'being able' to do this makes me feel weak.  Second, lack of control.  Now, if you know me, you know that I LOVE my control!  I would like to get the shot on Friday after work so I can get over the flu-like symptoms (if I get any) by Saturday.  If I get the shot at the office it would have to me mid week and that makes me nervous that I won't feel well for work the next day.

Right now I'm waiting for insurance approval and a NY state script approval.  After that delivery will be set up and once it's delivered, I notify the nurse and let her know I'm ready.  I know I should just buck up and do it myself, but the thought if it totally stresses me out!  I still have a week or two to decide so I'll continue to think (worry) about it and hopefully I'll make the best choice for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment